How To Add A Post In WordPress Website (Blogging):
- Click on Posts in the left-hand menu
- Add New
- Give your post a title in the first text window under Add a New Post.
- Within the Grey Bar beneath “Add Media”, you will see many icons that might look familiar from word-processing programs. Near the end of the icons on the right in the first row, find the icon with a bunch of mulit-colored squares. Click on this icon to expand the icons below (it’s called the kitchen sink)
- Now you should see a third row of icons.
- The first icon in the middle row is to Format the Size of text. Use the drop-down arrow to see different formatting options. Click and Drag over any text where you want to change the format. Select Paragraph (default text size), Heading 1 (largest text size) to Heading 6 (smallest text size).
- To change the color of your text, use the icon with the A underlined with a colored bar. This is also a drop down menu.
Add Text / Copy
- Under the Grey Bar is a space to add text/copy to your post.
- After you have finished adding text to the post, Choose a category:
- On the right-hand side of the dashboard, you should see a “Categories” window. If the whole window is not displayed, Hover your Mouse over the right edge of the grey bar to see a drop-down arrow and click on it to expand the window.
- Now you should see available categories for your post. If you do not see a suitable category, look below the window to see a link to ” + Add New Category”, click there to add your category. Click on the check box next to a Category to have your post appear there (may already be checked if you just added a new category)
- PUBLISH your work by clicking on the Publish button above!
SEEING YOUR POST ON YOUR SITE:
- If your site is not set up yet with Categories for blogs on the side bar (check your site first), you need to do one of 2 things:
- Add a page titled “BLOG” to your menu bar and Publish it. Then, do the following:
- Click on Settings in your Dashboard on the left-hand side. Then, click on “Reading” in the Settings Sub Menu (underneath Settings).
- Here you will see “Front page displays”
- “Your latest posts” (should not be checked unless your site is strictly for blogging)
- “A static page (select below)” (should be checked)
- Front page: (should display one of your page titles)
Posts page: (here is where you can now select the page you just made)
Add Post Categories to one of your sidebars:
- Click on Appearance in the left-hand menu of your Dashboard. Then, click on “Widgets” in the Appearance Sub Menu (underneath Appearance).
- On the rght-hand side, you will see dark grey bars titled “Left Sidebar” and “Right Sidebar” (you may even have inner sidebars – but rarely used).
- Click on the grey bar of the sidebar where you want your categories for posts displayed.
- Find the “Categories” widget and click and drag that to a position in your sidebar. If you hold the category widget above or below another widget title, you will see a dotted rectangle appear as a space holder for that position in the sidebar. Release your mouse button at the appropriate place. You can always reposition the widget later.
- Give your widget a Title if you so choose (ex. Articles, Categories, Blog) and leave the available check boxes unchecked or choose to show your categories as a drop-down menu, etc. SAVE changes.
- Check the “front end” of your website to make sure it looks good to you.