How To Update Your WordPress Website, Themes and Plugins:
Before updating WordPress version software, BACKUP your files. (Wp-db-backup Plugin Needed or some other backup plugin)
- In the dashboard, go to:
- Tools, Backup, Click/Check available radio buttons on right (square boxes),
- Select “Save to server” button, and Click “Backup now” button.
- Once that is finished, then you can proceed to UPGRADE AUTOMATICALLY your version of WordPress.
- Always check your website’s appearance after you have taken these steps.
If you need to Update your Plugins:
Go to your “Plugins” page from the Dashboard Menu, Select all plugins that need updating and use the drop-down “Bulk Actions” menu above to select “Upgrade” and click the “Apply” button. You will be taken to a page that confirms all plugins have been upgraded.
If you need to Update your Theme:
If you have the header file and know how to reload this file, proceed. (See Filezilla Instructions Here)
- You may want to deactivate all plugins (I have never had any trouble without deactivating, but you can’t be too careful).
- Click on the Dashboard Menu “Dashboard” (all the way at the top of the left-hand menu). Click on “Updates”. Select the Theme you want to update and click Update/Apply. Afterward, you may have to upload your header again using Filezilla or another FTP upload program.